Friday, June 22, 2012

Goose Bumps...

This morning I swapped some "Jehovah Shammah Moments" with a friend over coffee. (Actually, I had a sugar-free vanilla chai which tasted like CANDY).
But I digress...

Jehovah Shammah means "The Lord is there."
You KNOW it's a good story when you get goosebumps and tears in your eyes while listening. (Well, maybe your body doesn't respond to good things in that way...but mine just can't keep it all in, the energy has to find an outlet!)
She has such great stories! (Quick plug: you can read some of her stories here on her blog.)
After I wiped my nose and blotted my eyes, I got to thinking about the MANY times God has looked at my little family, watched us wrestle with some little thing; and made His presence known in a Big way.
As my girlfriend said this morning, "Those little nuggets of gold shouldn't be kept. They need to be shared." (or something along those lines.)
I agree - so I'm sharing. 


Goose Bump Moment #1
Eight years ago (ish), I lost my wedding rings. 
Both of them. The most expensive anythings that we owned outright.
Wedding Rings
Photo Credit
I had placed my rings on the nightstand by our bed (because I had gained a bit too much weight, but we don't need to remember that part of the story...)
I also had a child who was under the age of two (plus a three and a half year old who was GREAT at distracting keeping Mom's attention until it was "too late".)
Yah...you are way ahead of me already, aren't you?


By the time I realized my valuables were gone, they were no longer a thought in my little boy's mind. 
I asked him about them. 
He grinned big, nodded his head, and took me by the hand around the house...showing me toys and books and pieces of lint, but no rings.
I tore the house apart. I looked in couches, in vents, in trashcans. (I should add that my mom thinks that I threw HER wedding rings away when I was about the same age.) I knew this was history repeating itself. WHY had I not LEARNED from my mother's mistake?!


It had been almost a week. 
I was at the end of my rope. I had lifted frantic prayers in my search as I opened cupboards and sorted toy boxes. 
I finally resigned. I was NOT going to find them on my own.


Usually, sleep comes easy for me. (A trait my husband envies.)
But on one particular night, sleep eluded me.
I was lying there contemplating a Walmart run to find a simple stainless steel band I could wear. (I love being married and needed a ring to "tell the world.")
I started to talk to God. 
In the quiet.
In the still.
I prayed. Earnestly...and ready to hear an answer.


"Jesus, if those ring haven't gone out with the trash. If those rings are findable. Please reveal their location. If not, I'll accept that you can use this for your Glory. I did learn about the grace and love I can have toward my children...even if I want to STRANGLE them. And I learned about the grace and love Clay has for me...instead of strangling me."


As. Soon. As. I. finished. My. Prayer...
Pillows popped into my head.
Two ugly denim pillows sat next to the TV...they had zippers on them where they had been stuffed full of stuffing.
My toddler liked to unzip things. He would play with those pillows on occasion.
I jumped out of bed. My heart was racing. (Clay was completely befuddled.)
I nearly kicked the couch and stepped on 2 Hot Wheels cars as I stumbled in the dark to find those pillows.
I reached down, unzipped a pillow, put my hand in - and felt delicate metal...right on top, waiting for me.
Talk about tears and goosebumps.


God is ready to step in...when we ask.
And yet, I do not ask often enough.
And sometimes when I DO ask...I'm not ready to hear the answer, or I do not LOOK for his answer, or I do not see and ACKNOWLEDGE it.
"You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." James 4:2b-3
Lord, You are always there. 
Jehovah Shemmah.
I want to open my eyes to that reality.
I want my boys to witness your presence...even if it's through MY faith.
And I want to shout it to the world.




Linked up to Hip Homeschool HopLoving Our Children Tuesday, NOBH

16 comments:

  1. I love this story, Becky. And it sounds like your "friend" was blessed to have you there! You've got wonderful stories, too. :):)

    Happy weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwa! (that's a cyber kiss for my cyber-and not so cyber- friend). Thanx!

      Delete
  2. Yay! What a great story. I am so glad you shared because I needed a little reminder that God does answer prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does! He does! He does! Yeehaw!
      Glad I reminded you...as I reminded myself.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful story! One of God's tender mercies. He is so aware of us. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! (and commenting!) I love it when people help me see that I'm not just talking to myself. You've been a big part of that.

      Delete
  4. GREAT STORY!! And it comes on the heels of my just finding my own wedding that had been lost! I looked everywhere, as did my children. I checked my dresser 3 times. One morning, after I prayed about it, I went to my dresser and God had put the ring there RIGHT IN PLAIN SIGHT! I love it.

    Thanks for linking up and sharing the term Jehovah Shammah - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my girlfriends shared about Jehovah Shemmah and it "stuck". I even started researching other Hebrew names. There is just something sovereign and "set apart" and respectful when using an uncommon, less taken for granted term for our GOD.
      Glad it resonated with you too!

      Delete
  5. Awesome!! It's so neat when God answers our prayers so quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had lost my wedding diamond in a NYC subway many years ago. It was a family ring that was quite old, and the setting was worn down a bit. I remember placing my finger out of habit over the top the diamond. And just as I walked through the turn style, I realized it wasn't in it's setting anymore! I had a couple of girlfriends with me, and we asked the subway "guy" if he had a broom....can you believe we found the diamond! I couldn't believe it then, and it's still hard to believe now! I love how God uses those kinds of moments to reveal how much he loves us! Those little things, which of course carry so much meaning to us, are important to Him, too! I love when I find you on NOBH, and I love that you used the word befuddled! That word is not used enough anymore! LOL! ;)
    Love and God Bless,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Can you see my goosebumps from there?
      What a great reminder that our marriages are sacred and important to God.
      Woo hoo! Can I hear an amen?

      Delete
  7. I have goosebumps after reading this post. Thank you for sharing with us at NOBH. It reminds me of the parable of the lost coin and there was great joy when she found it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Thank you for sharing! What a wonderful reminder of how God cares about every detail of our lives.

    ReplyDelete

You don't even have to raise your hand...just shout it out.