Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Really? Creative Writing


Explosions, guns, hunting, blood, and underwear...
These are the main subject matter in our homeschool writing club comprised solely of young boys.

"What would our children write about if they went to public school?" I queried.
"I have no idea, but I'm SURE they would be expelled for reading THESE stories," replied my cohort in writing club crime.

'Tis true. We are raising creative writing delinquents.
Although I often take a red pen to rough drafts in hopes of limiting the gross/violence factor, final drafts would rarely pass muster in an institution for the masses.

The thing is: my fifth and seventh graders are learning to ENJOY the written word.
Strong verbs, descriptive language and compound sentences are not nearly so daunting when the subject matter is engaging and makes them grunt with heightened levels of testosterone.

My kids are becoming competent, creative writers.
They will, someday, be successful when asked to draft a presentation for the 'big wigs' at work (or a college professor). If these skills are learned while creating PowerPoint presentations to convince their parents that the latest PlayStation game is necessary (for killing zombies and thriving in the future Apocalypse); so be it.
If they become proficient in drafting business letters while writing to the M&M Candy Corporation expressing disappointment with the term "fun-size" on teeny-tiny bags of M&Ms, I say, "Rock on."
If writing an accurate and detailed report about Cedar Point happens to include a description about vomit or underwear while adequately expressing the rush of adrenaline which occurred on a ride, I'll take it! A successfully written report (with details) WAS achieved.

They can deal with dry subject matter later if their future 'real-world' requires it. In the meantime, I have some fundamentals to ingrain within their cute little heads, and I have the freedom to do this any way I deem fit. Thank you homeschool!

I am sure many would poo-poo my methods.
That's OK. I'm sure I would also poo-poo theirs.
(I just wrote poo-poo in an "acceptable" way, and it made me laugh.
Sorry, I couldn't let that slide - I live with boys.)

If I risk raising delinquents, it is a risk I am willing to take.
I hardly think I can avoid rule-questioning/bending/breaking children anyway.
(I know their parents.)
I might as well use this tendency for their future benefit.

6 comments:

  1. You rock! I told my son months ago that he could write about anything. Just WRITE! So happy to know I'm not the only mom dealing with this type of subject matter. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another cohort! Lifting a prayer that your stomach can handle the next composition. ;)

      Delete
  2. Way to go!!! Whatever keeps them engaged and excited about learning! I love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they could be considered excited, but I'll give you engaged. ;)
      They have NO IDEA how blessed they are - and how boring writing could actually be.
      Thanks for being such a great encouragement! Love you friend!

      Delete
  3. Clapping! I'd say you rock. Out loud. With an electric guitar. :D

    Kudos from another MOB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, an ELECTRIC guitar...that is high praise in this family of rock-n-rollin' musicians, but I know that you know that. ;) Thanks so much!

      Delete

You don't even have to raise your hand...just shout it out.